Thursday, March 19, 2009

My horsey life

50 Fun Questions
1. How old were you when you first started riding? Before kindergarten.

2. First horse ridden: My mom's horse Dusty. I don't really know that sitting on him with her counts as "riding," but he's the first I was on.

3. First horse trotted on: Probably Sonny.

4. First horse cantered on: Blaze. Definitely. I don't know that that pony did much BUT canter!

5. First horse fallen off of: Blaze. Many, many times.

6. Most recent horse fallen off of: Calypso, two weeks ago. Who knew she could teleport sideways while spinning to run the other way from a relaxed walk?

7. Most terrifying fall: The one off Blaze when I broke my arm. I never imagined that Army guys popping out of the top of a tank could be so scary to a pony!

8. First horse jumped with: Blaze.

9. First horse who ran away with you: Blaze. (I'm sensing a trend here!)

10. First horse that scared the crap out of you: The mustang I broke for a friend. He was a true prey animal and reacted much differently than domestic horses to things. I think he would have taken my head off more than once if I wasn't fast enough to get out of his way.

11. First horse shown: Blaze, I think. I might have ridden Sonny in a walk/trot class, but I don't recall.

12. First horse to win a class with: Blaze. We beat out all the experienced riders on well-broke horses in an advanced trail class. We were the BOMB!

13. Do you/have you taken lessons: Yes, and I'll keep taking them for as long as I can get on a horse.

14. First horse you ever rode bareback: Blaze. We didn't have a saddle for her right away so I spent most of my time bareback. Even after my mom picked up a kid's western saddle, I still chose bareback over saddle.

15. First horse trail ridden with: Blaze.

16. Current Barn Name: Well, my farm's name is Bramblewood Acres. Since my horses are at home, I guess that's my barn name, too!

17. Do you ride English or Western: Both.

18. First horse to place at a show with: Blaze

19. Ever been to horse camp: Nope. I've helped run a horse camp, but was never a participant.

20. Ever been to a riding clinic: Yup, both as an auditor and a participant. I love clinics.

21. Ridden sidesaddle: Nope. No desire to, either.

22. First horse leased: Never leased, always owned. Well, I did a part-board lease on a TB named Royal Conclusion. I part-boarded him for a summer.

23. Last horse leased: Royal Conclusion.

24. Highest ribbon in a show: Grand Champion in a halter class.

25. Ever been to an “A” rated show?: Yes

26. Ever competed in pony games/relay races: Yes.

27. Ever fallen off at a show: Yes.

28. Do you ride Hunters/Jumpers: Yes. But I've gravitated away from hunters towards jumpers and eventers. They have more fun.

29. Have you ever barrel raced: Yup!

30. Have you ever done pole bending: Yup!

31. Favorite gait: Galloping!

32. Ever cantered bareback: Many, many times.

33. Have you ever done dressage: Yes. I love dressage. The most incredible experience I ever had was on a schoolmaster named Early Morning. Holy mackerel. That's the dressage I strive for.

34. Have you ever evented: Yes. Very low level. Like, green bean level.

35. Have you ever mucked a stall: A billion and one times.

36. Ever been bucked off: Bucked off? Nope. Spooked off? Yup.

37. Ever been on a horse that reared: Yes. I made my mom SO angry when I taught her hunter, Mike, how to rear on command. I was young and dumb.

38. Horses or ponies: Thoroughbreds!

39. Do you wear a helmet: I have been lately, especially when I ride Gabe. I grew up only having to wear a helmet at shows, but I've gotten better. My daughter reminds me to put it on every time I ride now...and when you have kids to stay alive and kicking for, you tend to be a bit safer.

40. What’s the highest you’ve jumped: 3'6"

41. Have you ever ridden at night: Oh yes! Midnight trail rides under a full moon are amazing!

42. Do you watch horsey television shows: Yes, RFD-Tv shows and that new series "Jockeys."

43. Have you ever been seriously hurt/injured from a fall: Yes. A few times.

44. Most falls in one lesson: I've never fallen off during a lesson.

45. Do you ride in an arena/ring: Kind of. I have a flat pasture area we ride in, but its grass, not sand, and it's not enclosed. But I have the corners and sides marked with cones.

46. Have you ever been trampled by a horse: No. Stomped on, kicked, bit, dragged and bloodied, but never trampled.

47. Have you ever been bitten: Oh yes. One horse I worked around, Sam, went out of his way to bite. You couldn't enter his stall without a crop in hand.

48. Ever had your foot stepped on by a horse: I've had my toes bloodied and broken by horse hooves. My favorite was the jumper, Smoke and Mirrors, who used to aim for my foot when he had the studs in his shoes. FUN!

49. Favorite riding moment: There are so many. My most recent favorite moment was trail riding in the Sierras with my mom, daughter and sister. Oh, what wonderful memories!

50. Most fun horse you’ve ridden: Definitely Star. She was such a character and could be quite flaky, but she always gave her all when It's too early to tell, but I think Gabe may turn out to be pretty danged fun, too.

3 comments:

  1. Midnight ride sounds fun :)
    We are north enough that a midsummers ride should be had ...1 am or so its so light....must get visitors up so we can have baby sitters lol.
    Im so stealing this to copy on my page ;)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow did this post ever bring back some memories. You and Blaze were little terrorists, gave your mom all of her grey hair. I can't believe you didn't have to wear a helmet at all times. This was fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to read...you've done a lot of different things with your horses. Blaze sounds like a very memorable pony.

    ReplyDelete