Friday, October 24, 2008

Watch out foxes!

I'm SO excited! I've been invited to go foxhunting with some friends next month. It's been awhile since I've been on a hunt so I'm excited and nervous all at once. I haven't been hunting since I had Star and she was a BLAST to hunt. As much as I'd like to haul Gabe out to the hunt, I think it would be too much too fast for him and might just blow his mind.

So, I'll be taking the little pork sausage, Calypso. I've been riding her pretty regularly and she's lost some weight and put on some condition, but she still resembles an overstuffed burrito rather than the sleek little mare she SHOULD be. You know it's bad when you nickname a horse Pork Sausage or Gordita. Poor thing. She's such an easy keeper...she gets fat on grass alone and probably needs about twice as much under saddle work as she currently gets.

Anyway, I guess I'd better dig out my hunt gear, polish the boots and make sure the hunt coat still fits! Woo hoo! My goal for next season is to have Gabe ready to go and try to make a meet at least twice a month, if not more. If you've never been foxhunting, and enjoy a fast, thrilling (sometimes a little scary!) ride, I HIGHLY recommend finding a hunt and giving it a try.

Oh, I've never actually seen a fox get caught on any of the hunts I've been on. I guess you could really call it a fox "chase" rather than a "hunt." Coyotes do get caught on occasion.

3 comments:

  1. Have fun! I used to love the hunts in Leavenworth, Kansas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some very fond memories of our hunts at Ft. Riley. I will always remember great big ole Sam Hines on his great big ole white horse. Good times!

    I hope at some point I'm able to take Kayleigh hunting with me and she enjoys it as much as I do...I should find her a pony just. like. Blaze. ROFL! You've never really learned to ride until you have to ride a runaway pony who likes to find the low branches or swim off into the middle of the lake with NO intentions of returning. Or roll in tank trail mud holes with the rider aboard. Or take off hell-bent for leather pulling a two-wheeled pony cart. She'd Jump anything she was aimed at and loved to run run run! I bet I could find a pony like that for FREE! Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenn! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll keep you posted on the skinny horse, as I know anything.

    Great blog here! Have fun on the hunt- i cant wait to hear the details!

    Looking forward to reading more here!

    ReplyDelete