Monday, September 15, 2008

When it rains

I love my property. I love all the pastures I have and the space to ride. I can go for hours and hours through fields and along back country roads.

What I don't love is not having an indoor arena. The remnants of Hurricane Ike unloaded on us Sunday and we are wet, muddy and flooded. The creek came up into Gabe's pasture and part of my riding "arena" is under water. I don't have an arena with all-weather footing. I have a turf (that's the hoity-toity word for "grass") arena, which basically turns to mud when it really rains.

I'm not going to get to do much with Gabe today and the only riding I'll be able to do on Calypso is up and down the driveway and down the road. I'll probably use the road riding "opportunity" to work on her transitions within and between gaits. She gets on her forehand and rushes at the trot if she's not ridden perfectly balanced and forward. Since she's Robert's horse, I've been working on trying to get her to stay off her forehand even if the riding isn't perfect. Once she gets on the forehand, her trot is AWFUL. It's short and stiff, head up, back tense. Very much like riding a pogo stick. But when she's balanced, she has a decent trot.

I won't be able to work Gabe in the field at all. This is horse training after all, not muddin'! I will take this forced opportunity to do more work with him standing nicely tied while I groom him and do whatever else to him that he needs to learn to endure. Then maybe I'll take him for a short walk and a graze along the driveway.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Ike turned out to be a real pain for a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It hit us a lot harder than I expected. 60mph winds with about 5 inches of rain in a couple of hours. Flooding EVERYWHERE! The country road that takes us to the highway is under at least a foot of water, and probably will be for a few days. It's about an added half hour trip to get around it. I lost a couple of trees in the woods, but I figure if the wind took them down, they probably weren't all that healthy anyway. And we can always use more firewood!

    ReplyDelete