Monday, January 3, 2011

And my soul soars

For the first time in nearly two months the planets aligned, the mud cooperated and the sun gleamed golden in an azure sky and I was able to ride.

Oh, the feeling of pure joy attained after so long an absence, even with the silly boy antics tossed at me by the big gray guy. Emotionally and mentally I can always tell when I've gone too long without riding. I feel down in the dumps, like something in my life is missing and the weight of the world on my shoulders. One ride, good or not so good, is all it takes to lift me up again, to remind my soul that yes, I can soar with eagles when I climb astride my horse.

I only rode for about 45 minutes after lungeing the big goof ball for about 20 minutes. He performed several airs above ground, shimmied, ducked, bucked and twisted in the air, both on the line and with me in the saddle. Which, in an oddly demented way, was quite exhilarating to ride. I think I even whooped and laughed a few times as he was getting the ants out of his pants. Which I wouldn't have done if I hadn't been able to stick to the saddle and landed face-first in the frozen mud instead. I'm sure it would have been far less exciting if I had to wipe the mud off my face and catch my horse after such silliness on his part.

Life is good again. I'm ready for spring, longer days and grooming copious amounts of shedding hair from my fuzzy critters.

A video of the beasties enjoying the snow last weekend...that leap and spin performed by Gabe? Yeah, pretty sure I rode one eerily similar last night. Chief's lookin' pretty darn spry for a 25-year-old arthritic dude isn't he?

Sorry about the dang black speck in the video...there is a speck of something in the housing of my camera...a non-removable housing. I have to send it in to have it removed and I just haven't had the extra $$ laying around to get it done. :(

9 comments:

  1. That was beautiful footage. Your big grey thrills me, and I thought appys marked as great as that one only showed up in kids' books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how when you're videoing the little guy Gabe leaps into shot "look at ME Look at ME!" lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! The 25 yr old looks happy and very un-arthritic. grin. Congrats on your ride and nourishing the soul in doing so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great footage! I have a new compact video camera and would love to get some good video taken, only I get to the barn in the dark. (When I get there, that is--work has caused me to miss two nights in a row!)

    Soon, though, soon.

    Your horses look awesome--fit, athletic, and happy. You are definitely doing something right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for riding! Loved the video, too - I love seeing excited horses getting turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get the same way when I don't get to ride. Getting on a horse soothes my soul for sure.

    The horses looks pretty spry in that video. I love seeing horses play that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They sure enjoyed themselves running around in the snow! Gabe looks beautiful...and that tail! Wow, he's gorgeous. Glad you got to ride...and that you stuck to the saddle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back and I totally understand the winter blues. BTW I just awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award. Stop by to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Yea for the life redeeming horseback rides!I do so know that gloryious and deeply flet place...even the bucks/spins could not discount the real spiritual joy of the ride! Happy for you that weather permitted and all!

    Man do they all look great! Gabe is a HUNK!!Your daughter was so blasted cute, calling out to the "Ponies!"

    ReplyDelete