Monday, June 21, 2010

When it's scorching

Holy wow it's hot. Really, really hot. Excessive heat warning hot, horses standing around sweating hot. Water tanks bath-water warm by the end of the day.

What do you do when it's so hot you barely want to step outside yet you absolutely long to ride? Smart people get up with the sun to ride.

Not so smart people complain about not being able to ride because it's too bloody hot.

Guess what category I'm in?

Yeah. The not so smart one. I keep meaning to get up at the buttcrack of dawn to get a ride in while it's still bearable out. But that dang snooze button is far too close to my bed to make a 5 a.m. ride reality very often. I've only managed it a couple of times and each time I've been so pleased with myself and had such a wonderful ride.

Instead I get home from work in the afternoon and watch my horses graze, wishing I could ride. Wanting to go for a gallop and feel the wind blowing across my face. I'd say through my hair, too, but I'm just old enough to know I'm no longer invincible and I always wear my hard hat.

The horses are gross. I think they'll all get showers tonight. I may not be able to ride, but I sure can cool 'em off and clean 'em up. Last night they came in from the pasture dripping with sweat and of course, my sweet, gray darling found the muddiest spot he could locate in his paddock and rolled. He is now dirt-colored and crusty. Ugh. But the bonus is he's so gross the flies can't tell where the ground ends and he begins. Nasty beast.

I always have mineral blocks out for them but during the summer, they get electrolytes in their evening feed too. I just don't think they are able to lick enough salt off those blocks to make up for what they are losing standing out there dripping. As much as the heat sucks, I'll take the heat over the endless mud any day of the year!

Happy trails...I hope I'm out there on them bright and early tomorrow morning!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry- messed up my wording. I was trying to say that I know how you feel- both about the difficulties in keeping a gray horse clean and this stinking, sweltering heat. I'll take autumn over any season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can also say that I know how you feel. It was only 86 today, but the wind was incessant and it was hot and dry. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Running...he's more beige than gray any more. I'm ready for cooler weather too! Every day it's gross and he sweats like mad then ROLLS. The pig.

    Dreaming...I'll take dry over this crazy 94% humidity any day of the week!

    ReplyDelete